The role of Syntrus Achmea Real Estate & Finance
Syntrus Achmea Real Estate & Finance acts as an investment manager for various clients. Syntrus Achmea Real Estate & Finance buys, manages and sells real estate for said clients. The client is the owner. When managing real estate for the client, Syntrus Achmea Real Estate & Finance is the processor of your data. Furthermore, management activities may be subcontracted. The property manager acts as sub-processor.
In the development of real estate, Syntrus Achmea Real Estate & Finance is the controller. Furthermore, Syntrus Achmea Real Estate & Finance manages various property funds. Because a property fund is not a legal entity, Syntrus Achmea Real Estate & Finance—as manager—is the controller.
Your data in safe hands
Do you wish to rent a home, shop, office or other real estate? Your data will be required. Your data are processed for the rental agreement (to be entered into), or because you have given your (express) consent, or on legal grounds, or because we have a legitimate interest. Without your personal data, we are unable to enter into a rental agreement with you. It is important to us that you know what we do with your personal data and what your rights are. This way, you can rest assured that your data are in safe hands with us.
The data we use
If you are interested in a property, we need to collect your name, address, date of birth, e-mail address and telephone number. If you wish to rent a property, we need personal data such as pay slips, bank statements, an employer’s statement, a copy of your passport (without BSN [= Citizen Service Number]), and details of your co-tenants. Your payment details are needed to set up a direct debit for the rent.
These data may be collected by property managers. They manage real estate on our behalf. You yourself may also submit these data to us.
What do we use your data for?
Are you a tenant?
We may use your data to:
- enter into a rental agreement with you
- meet our duty of care: are you the right tenant for the property?
- execute the rental agreement
- make payments and collect claims, including outsourcing this to third parties
- gain insight into the needs and preferences of (potential) tenants
- schedule and carry out maintenance
- arrange viewings and acquisitions
- handle disputes, questions, or investigations, including legal proceedings
- perform housing benefit checks
- carry out internal management activities
- maintain relations with external property managers, hired by Syntrus Achmea Real Estate & Finance to carry out activities in the letting process
- execute or apply legal requirements
- carry out an online search into individuals
- register (data from) rental agreements
- hold satisfaction surveys
Are you a business relation, for instance an estate agent, valuer, or collection agency?
We process your personal data in order to be able to work with you and contact you.
Which contact moments do we record?
We record what was agreed with you and use our contact moments to improve our communication. These are the contact moments we record:
* letters and e-mails we send and receive from you
* phone calls and chats
* what do you do and look at on our website
* our contact via social media, such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
With whom do we share your data?
We sometimes transfer your data or check them with other companies. We do not sell your data. We may exchange data with:
- the clients, as property owners
- (commercial) property managers, in order to manage real estate
- plumbers, repairmen, builders and maintenance companies, for the purpose of work on your home
- the bank, for payment purposes
- valuers, estate agents and legal service providers
- collection agencies and bailiffs, for payment purposes
- lawyers and legal bodies, in case of arrears or a dispute
- investigation authorities, tax authorities (both national and international), (financial) regulatory bodies
- outsourcing parties with regard to IT
- companies for the purpose of benchmarking
- service providers such as accountants and auditors
- our suppliers and business relations
- prospective tenants, to arrange viewings
- Internal Audit, Risk and Compliance Achmea B.V.
The same privacy rules apply throughout the European Economic Area (EEA). The EEA includes all EU Member States plus Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland. Where it is necessary to transfer data to countries outside the EEA, we do so with the utmost care and we ensure appropriate safeguards are in place.
How do we ensure that your data are safe with us?
Our website and IT systems are adequately secured. We continuously implement technical and organisational measures to prevent misuse of your data. Our employees have also been given clear instructions on how they must handle your data. In addition, we make clear agreements with companies that process and use data on our behalf and according to our instructions.
We are extra careful with sensitive data
Sensitive data include:
- Citizen Service Number (BSN)
- financial and bank data
- identity numbers
How long do we keep your data?
We keep your data for as long as we need them or for as long as required by law. Subsequently, we delete or anonymize your data.
Your rights are also protected by law. You can:
- request our disclosure of your data held by us
- have your data rectified if they are not correct
- have your data deleted
- often, we are unable to delete your data, for instance because we still need your data, or because of legal requirements
- object to a certain use of your data
- if, for instance, you do not wish to receive any more emails containing offers from us. Our e-mails include a link that enables you to opt out of receiving further emails. You can also call us. In other cases, you should explain clearly why you object
- withdraw your consent
- if you gave us consent to use your data, you may withdraw your consent at a later date. We will subsequently no longer use your data
- transfer your data
- you can ask for your data to be transferred to another party or yourself
- temporarily stop your data from being used
- for instance, if you believe that we are not entitled to use your data
- submit a complaint to the Dutch Data Protection Authority
Let us know if you wish to exercise your rights
Send us a letter or an e-mail, accompanied by a copy of your passport or ID card. Please ensure your Citizen Service Number (BSN) is rendered illegible and your passport photo is blanked out. We will respond within one month of receiving your communication.
Syntrus Achmea Real Estate & Finance
PO Box 59347
1040 KH AMSTERDAM
Do you have a question, tip or complaint?
Please send an e-mail to Syntrus Achmea Real Estate & Finance’s Privacy Officer at email@example.com. You can also send a letter to:
Syntrus Achmea Real Estate & Finance
PO Box 59347
1040 KH AMSTERDAM
Are we unable to resolve the matter together?
We will then forward your complaint to Achmea’s Data Protection Officer. You may also always submit your complaint to the Dutch Data Protection Authority.
We may amend this privacy statement
We may, for instance, do so based on changes in law(s) or regulations, or when we develop new products or services.
Most recently updated: 16 May 2018